Thursday, January 25, 2007

Library 2.0

Having read all of the articles suggested I'm feeling as if I can never catch up on the technology that this involves, with constant changes. I have a hard time finding things on websites, and then when it gets updated and is changed I lost again. There is definitely excitement by the leaders of library 2.0 and their excitement is contagious. The article that I enjoyed the most was "Away from Icebergs", I thought Rick Anderson stated the problems libraries face with trying to serve our patrons in this changing world of technology. I especially like the part on having things work so patrons did not have to be trained to work the technology. I worry about changing too much too soon. As I have stated before I worry about people who are older and do not want libraries to change, they like browsing through books and communicating with people face to face. It will take a long time for all people to be comfortable with computers, many people do not use computers at all and others only for work and others for limited uses such as emails and playing games. Just as many businesses and banks would like people to pay online many people are not ready for that yet. It will take some time. I do not want to intimidate people who are not ready to be pushed into technology. The library should be for everyone to feel comfortable and welcomed.

2 comments:

Robin said...

That's an excellent point, Karen. We do need to be mindful of the people to whom this "fancy-schmancy" computer stuff will never be comfortable. Libraries, as repositories of books and paper-based periodicals and community, will (hopefully) never be replaced - we just have to think of all of these new ways of communicating with our patrons as additions to our services, not replacements!

Debbie deliberates said...

I have been trying to make heads or tails of this Library 2.0. I haven't made much headway, but your blog helped me see that it is a very confusing place. I too, wonder about change happening to fast, and leaving a lot of people behind.